Petition is successful with 2,960 signatures
To: Vikram Chandra (CEO, NDTV), (//twitter.com/vikramchandra)
NDTV dump Monsanto!
A few days just after we delivered signatures to NDTV, activist Anantha Sayanan got a response that NDTV has stopped their campaign with Monsanto and the TV series “Inspiring lives” has been stalled and would not be aired.
We want NDTV to drop Monsanto-Mahyco as partner for it’s new TV series ‘Improving Lives’.
- NDTV in it's new TV series talks about democracy and improving peoples lives.Then why is it partnering with a corporation like Monsanto known for using unscrupulous means to propagate its trade.
- Monsanto is a controversial corporation hated by people all over the world. Monsanto uses unethical practices and evil money to further its agenda. GMOs are banned in so many countries. There is a lot of resistance to it in India as well.
- Monsanto is known for its agenda to control food and farming as seen in the case of Bt cotton in India. Cotton was once used by Mahatma Gandhi in the fight for India’s independence, now 93% of our cotton is owned by American company Monsanto’s proprietary technology known as Bt cotton.
- NDTV is a reputed news organisation and pioneer in Indian TV news space. It aims to provide accurate news. So why partner with a liar like Monsanto?
NDTV should choose a non-controversial, ethical partner.
Why is this important?
NDTV has partnered with one of the the most unethical corporations and is misleading the people of India into thinking that this series is actually helping the public.
Monsanto has recently got a lot of criticisms from around the world and are trying to clean up their public image, this being one of the tactic.
- 90% of Genetically engineered (GE) seeds are made and owned by Monsanto. Many consumers are against GE food because it has been associated with health risks, loss of biodiversity, increased use of toxic weed killers (herbicides) and other environmental problems.
-Monsanto’s agenda is to turn the world’s agriculture into one big genetic experiment. In most parts of the world (Eg, Europe, Russia, Africa most Latin America and Asian countries) major food companies and retailers are refusing to sell GE foods. There are also many governments who have banned the growing of GE or refusing to import them. In response to the mounting criticism, Monsanto has been making an effort to green up its public image.
However, the real Monsanto is in the business of making money- first and last. Their evident strategy is to make farmers worldwide depend on their patented seeds, herbicides and pesticides. The record, as we demonstrate below, shows that Monsanto does not hesitate to sweep aside everything else...sustainable agriculture, the environment, farmer’s livelihoods and consumer’s interests... if this is required to achieve their goal of market domination.
Monsanto guilty as charged for crimes against nature, crimes against the right of farmers to grow, and consumers to eat, GE-free crops and food. NDTV is misleading the nation by partnering with Monsanto on a show that has a message of democracy and sustainability.
Read full report on Monsanto's deadly sins: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/Global/international/planet-2/report/2008/3/7-deadly-sins.pdf