To: To The Transport Minister, MP Davangere
Say Yes To CNG for DAVANGERE Autorickshaws
The world is getting warmer and warmer day by day. The air that we breath is polluted like hell.It is now very obvious that the diesel and petrol powered auto-rickshaws have greatly affected the environment. Delhi took a bold step of converting diesel and petrol powered autos into CNG ones. Its time,Davangere takes the initiative to cut down its carbon foot prints.
SO DIESEL AND PETROL POWERED AUTO-RICKSHAWS MUST BE BANNED AND SHOULD BE MADE TO RUN ON CNG.
Why is this important?
CNG drastically reduces the emission of harmful and toxic substances such as carbon monoxide. Emissions of Carbon Monoxide non-methane hydrocarbons and
Nitrogen Oxides were 76%, 88% and 83% respectively lower with CNG than with petrol.
It is commonly assumed that CNG reduces a vehicle’s power but CNG is a more powerful fuel than gasoline.
-Is it ECONOMICALLY VIABLE??!!!!
Yes,it is. According to a case study, an average rickshaw operating two shifts of eight hourseach consumes 10 litres of gasoline in one day costing Rs. 330. To travel the same distance, the same rickshaw consumes two cylinders of CNG, costing no more than Rs. 150. That is a saving of Rs. 180 per day in fuelcosts.
The health hazards caused by diesel and petrol exhaust fumes are:
• raise the risk of heart attacks
• harmful to blood vessels and can increase the chances of blood clots forming in our arteries, leading to a heart attack or stroke.
• Breathing in diesel exhausts during pregnancy is associated with sluggishness in offspring
• alterations in brain metabolism of neurotransmitters
• coughing, itchy or burning eyes, chest constriction, wheezing, and difficulty in breathing
• the long term exposure to diesel fumes may increase the risk of lung cancer and possibly bladder cancer.
Noise levels in some parts are much beyond the permissible levels notified in the Noise Pollution Control (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000 which is mainly caused by the diesel run auto-rickshaws.
Another dangerous impact given by the diesel and petrol run auto-rickshaws is noise pollution of our environment.
• loss of hearing, either temporary or permanent.
• lack of concentration, loss of memory and an adverse impact on education of children
• The non-auditory effects include cardiac ailments, stress, fatigue and disturbance to sleep leading to insomnia
. The best place to witness this change is our country’s capital DELHI. Carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen Dioxide, Lead and Sulphur Dioxide levels have all shown a declining trend. The annual average of 42g/m3 of Sulphur Dioxide in the year 1996 came down to as much as 18g/m3 during 2002, whereas NO2 came down from 75g/m3 in 1996 to 59g/m3 in 2000. Also, the results show a significant improvement in the overall air quality of the city. The concentration of Carbon Monoxide has fallen by 32 per cent; Sulphur Dioxide levels have fallen by 39 per cent in 2002 as compared to 1997. The concentration of other pollutants like Lead and Benzene have also registered a marked decline.
ALL OF THIS WAS POSSIBLE ONLY BECAUSE OF SWITCHING TO A CLEANER FUEL LIKE CNG..
Lets do our best to bring back the lost charm of Davangere and make it pollution free...